Host checks & check_nagios_db

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Sun Mar 6 02:27:26 CET 2005

Do host checks delay the writing of the status file? I've got a
Nagios instance with about 500 hosts / 5K services. About 35
hosts went offline at the same time, and I started getting
alarms that the Nagios status table was not updating fast enough
in addition to the host alerts.

I have Nagios set to aggregate status updates and to write them
out every 90 seconds. Check_nagios_db is configured to alarm if
the database isn't updated in 120 seconds. Running the script
manually I saw times in excess of 240 seconds.  I removed the
offending hosts (they were down for good) and the problem went
away, but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this.

This is Nagios 1.1 on Linux using DB storage of the host and
service status.

Thanks,
-Jason Martin
--