Clarification (was: service that has no associated host...)

prosolutions at gmx.net prosolutions at gmx.net
Thu Jun 30 20:53:38 CEST 2005

> > The requests get routed to a load-balancing
> >cluster director and answered by one of several servers in a pool.  I am
> >not sure what host_name is supposed to be
>
> The host_name of the cluster director, ofcourse. That's the host
> providing the service you're checking (even though it's just a proxy of
> sorts, it has to be up for the service check to succeed).

that makes sense.  everything is clear now.  obviously if the
load-balancer is not up then the test will fail, and it should be
checked.  i think part of my confusion was that i was thinking of
physical hosts as opposed to virtual hosts.  the actual loadbalancer
itself is also part of a cluster, but at least one of them needs to be up and
listening on the service IP address for things to work, so this service
listening on this IP is my "host"

> That ip-address is the ip-address of the host that the service-check
> belongs to. If you pull the plug to the device listening to that IP the
> check will fail.
>
> If you post any more nonsense on this subject claiming that the check
> doesn't really belong to a host, I think you'll be pretty thoroughly
> flamed. I'll even go so far as to provide the flaming myself if no-one
> else feels up to it. ;)

i agree.  my confusion was that the "host" in this case is more like a
"service" that can be provided by one of a number of physical "hosts" in
a pool.  i was confused conceptually.  thank you very much for helping
clarify this!