Clarification (was: service that has no associated host...)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 30 13:11:42 CEST 2005

prosolutions at gmx.net wrote:

> I will try to clarify this a little bit:
>

>               _____________
>              |  monitoring |
>              |  system     |
>              |             |
>              | (nagios)    |
>               -------------
>                    |  MYAPP    (test MYAPP, send request through
>                    |  test      external gateway to load-balanced
>                    |  script    cluster)
>                routed through
>                 external
> 		gateway
>              ______|___________
>             |  load-balancing  |
>             | cluster director |
>             |__________________|
>              |       |        |
>              |       |        |
>            __|_    __|_     __|_
>           |    |  |    |   |    |  application servers
>            ----    ----     ----    (running MYAPP)
>

> I want to define two instances of service MYAPP: MYAPP_peak_hours and
> MYAPP_off_peak both of which run at different times of day.  The
> event_handler will be my custom script which is configured to connect to
> an external gateway.

Do you mean check_command rather than event_handler?

>  The requests get routed to a load-balancing
> cluster director and answered by one of several servers in a pool.  I am
> not sure what host_name is supposed to be

The host_name of the cluster director, ofcourse. That's the host
providing the service you're checking (even though it's just a proxy of
sorts, it has to be up for the service check to succeed).

> or why I even need to
> configure one in nagios.

Because nagios requires services to be attached to hosts. It's a
programmatic thing which can't be changed without rewriting nagios from
the ground up.

>  In this instance, it doesn't seem to make
> sense to me.

I take it you're on a fairly green limb in the network management tree
then. Services in a network are provided by one or more devices. Those
devices are referred to as "hosts" in nagios, which is usually a fairly
accurate term.

>  I am not checking a host.  I am checking a service which
> is handled by a cluster of hosts.  The IP address that the actual test
> script connects to has nothing to do with my app.

That ip-address is the ip-address of the host that the service-check
belongs to. If you pull the plug to the device listening to that IP the
check will fail.

>  There is no need to
> ping any specific server here to see if it is alive.

Bah!

>  I just want to run
> the test script at regular intervals.

Nagios can do this for you, provided you follow nagios' rules.

If you post any more nonsense on this subject claiming that the check
doesn't really belong to a host, I think you'll be pretty thoroughly
flamed. I'll even go so far as to provide the flaming myself if no-one
else feels up to it. ;)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer