Plugin check_smtp erroneously reporting "service critical"

Ralph Seichter nagios-ml at sentries.org
Tue Jun 28 11:02:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am wondering about false "service critical" alerts resulting from
check_smtp (nagios-plugins 1.4) 1.43. The plugin fails with "socket
timeout after 10 seconds" when monitoring a remote Postfix server,
while this server is happily routing mail at the same time, even
back to the server running Nagios, as you can see in the logs (as
line breaks would render the logs harder to read, I'll attach them
instead of including them in the message body).

My Nagios configuration is as follows:

  define command{
    command_name check_smtp
    command_line $USER1$/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$
    }

  define service{
    use                   generic-service
    name                  foo-24x7
    is_volatile           0
    check_period          24x7
    max_check_attempts    4
    normal_check_interval 5
    retry_check_interval  1
    contact_groups        foo-admins
    notification_options  w,u,c,r
    notification_interval 480
    notification_period   24x7
    register              0
    }

  define service{
    use                   foo-24x7
    host_name             foo
    service_description   SMTP
    check_command         check_smtp
    }

I've tried increasing the SMTP plugin timeout up to 30 seconds (10
is the default), but I still receive the misleading messages. Does
anybody else see a similar behaviour? What can I do to get the SMTP
plugin working correctly?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter