Notifications via modem

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 27 23:54:36 CEST 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Jonathan Billey wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to investigate a way to send Nagios notifications to a cell
> phone/pager using a modem in case the Internet connection goes down.
>
> Right now during normal office hours I have notifications sent to a
> central e-mail queue that the IT department monitors. During off hours
> notifications are sent to a cell phone using the service & host
> "e-pager" command.
>
> If it was the case that the Internet connection went down and Nagios
> could not send notifications through e-mail or by text messaging I would
> like to have a backup where it would use a dialup connection to send out
> the alert.
>
> We are running Nagios 1.2 on FreeBSD 4.10
>
> Has anyone setup this type of notification method?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> JB

Check out qpage:

http://www.qpage.org/

(forgive the wrapping below)
# notify-by-qpage command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-by-qpage
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "Service: %s\nHost: %s\nAddress:
%s\nState: %s\nInfo: %s\nDate: %s" '$SERVICEDESC$' '$HOSTNAME$'
'$HOSTADDRESS$' '$SERVICESTATE$' '$OUTPUT$' '$DATETIME$' |
/usr/local/bin/qpage -l 0 -p $CONTACTPAGER$
        }

# host-notify-by-qpage command definition
define command{
        command_name    host-notify-by-qpage
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "Host '%s' is %s\nInfo: %s\nTime:
%s" '$HOSTALIAS$' '$HOSTSTATE$' '$OUTPUT$' '$DATETIME$'b|
/usr/local/bin/qpage -l 0 -p $CONTACTPAGER$
        }

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com