Is there a SQL Plugin

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Jun 26 22:48:04 CEST 2005

Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson writes:
>
>> Trivia time. :)
>

> Trivia can be fun.
>
>> Paul L. Allen wrote:

>>> True.
>>

>> SQL = Structured Query Language. It's connected with databases only by
>> coincidense, just like any UNIX OS could have apps written in Pascal
>> rather than C.
>

> Do you happen to know of anything that isn't effectively a database that
> accepts SQL queries?

No, but I can think of a few applications where it might make sense to
implement a subset of ANSI SQL.

>  I don't (but I admit I don't know everything).  I
> have to say that I find it difficult to conceive of doing left and right
> joins, for example, on something that wasn't effectively a database or
> had a mode of operation in which it was effectively acting as a database.

A textfile is a database. Neither relational nor structured, but still a
database, of sorts.

> I could talk to the postman in SQL, but I doubt he'd understand me or
> give me an answer if he did.

It might be fun to try. If he/she is a closet-nerd you might even get an
answer.

>>> Not entirely true.  Each database has its own proprietary
>>> extensions.  That said, I cannot conceive of any *sane* system where
>>> a plugin would
>>> need to check the functioning of those proprietary features rather than
>>> performing a simpler check of access to a particular table or record.
>>

>> There's also ANSI SQL. Most (all?) RDBM's servers implement a superset
>> of the required parts of the language,
>

> I expect that some of them don't implment all the required parts, or
> implement some of the required parts incorrectly.  I would guess that
> most of them claim to implement all the required parts and try to do so
> even if they don't.

Actually, no RDBMS that I've heard of implements all of the optional
parts, but all of them implement the required parts (one way or another).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer