Is there a SQL Plugin

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Jun 26 13:14:17 CEST 2005

Trivia time. :)

Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Daniel Benoy writes:
>
>> SQL is just a Database language..
>

> True.

SQL = Structured Query Language. It's connected with databases only by
coincidense, just like any UNIX OS could have apps written in Pascal
rather than C.

>> There are many programs which use the SQL language, including mysql,
>> oracle and  postgresql.
>

> Not entirely true.  Each database has its own proprietary extensions.  That
> said, I cannot conceive of any *sane* system where a plugin would need to
> check the functioning of those proprietary features rather than performing
> a simpler check of access to a particular table or record.

There's also ANSI SQL. Most (all?) RDBM's servers implement a superset
of the required parts of the language, and the various dialects all use
the same "grammar". Not all the big ones implement all the optional
parts of the ANSI SQL (MySQL f.e.).

>> The reason why a plugin refers specifically to mysql is because each
>> database server has its own independant protocol for transfering SQL
>> commands and results.
>

> Not entirely true.  Microsoft's SQL Server ripped off somebody else's
> protocol - it's the Microsoft way, they never innovate, they either buy
> somebody else's technology (if they have to) or rip it off (if they can
> get away with it).

That would be the tabular datastream protocol (TDS, as in FreeTDS) which
is also used by Sybase database servers. That's why the perl module
DBD::Sybase also can be used to access MS-SQL servers if it's built
against the FreeTDS libs.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer