Is there a SQL Plugin

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jun 22 23:24:34 CEST 2005

Daniel Benoy writes:

> SQL is just a Database language..

True.

> There are many programs which use the SQL language, including mysql,
> oracle and  postgresql.

Not entirely true.  Each database has its own proprietary extensions.  That
said, I cannot conceive of any *sane* system where a plugin would need to
check the functioning of those proprietary features rather than performing
a simpler check of access to a particular table or record.

> The reason why a plugin refers specifically to mysql is because each
> database server has its own independant protocol for transfering SQL
> commands and results.

Not entirely true.  Microsoft's SQL Server ripped off somebody else's
protocol - it's the Microsoft way, they never innovate, they either buy
somebody else's technology (if they have to) or rip it off (if they can
get away with it).

> Find out which one you have or want, and get a plugin for that.

I see from other posts that he needs to check MS SQL 2000.  There are
two plugins in the contrib directory that check MS SQL.  The one that uses
freetds is, in my opinion, the better one.  The one that uses freetds
copes with all MS SQL network protocols from the earliest to the latest
that has been released (it's not automatic, you have to configure freetds
so it knows that server X uses protocol version Y and that server A uses
protocol version B) but it's the one I'd recommend.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support