About a active plugin in local machine

Harlan Richard C HarlanRichardC at JohnDeere.com
Wed Jun 22 16:47:51 CEST 2005

I know about distributed monitoring, and we have run it before, the
question the way I read it was had nothing to do with distributed
monitoring but sending a change of state of the service. Witch is a
valid thing to want to do. The metrics over all will not be off, if the
service goes down Nagios will get the passive results sent to it, if the
box goes down you have another check to allow Nagios to down the box. If
the Nagios is setup with passive check with a time out Nagios will force
the check it self get an unknown and then ping the box. If it turn out
to be the case we talking about where pings works Nagios will show the
box up but service in a unknown state. The other way the passive monitor
will stay in a ok state but the second check will return unknown. Over
all I do not think it is a big deal over all, there are many way in
witch you can setup your box. But over all I still think that if you are
waiting for the host to update Nagios about the state of the service
then it is a non critical check. That is not the same a down stream
Nagios box running a active check then sending the data to the Main
Nagios server.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Musone
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:37 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Re: About a active plugin in local machine

he main reason why you want regular updates is less for the "up/down"
state of the services/elements, and more of the metrics.

By sending performance data at regular intervals, you have real
INFORMATION that you can use to determine problems BEFORE they occur.
without that, you're generally monitoring blindly.

As far as your specific environment, you mentioned that you have client
machine on remote networks that you cannot remotely monitor via active
checks. another options is to install a nagios box at their location,
have it do local active checks, have it collect the information, and
send it via passive checks to your main nagios machine. look up
distributed monitoing in the nagios docs.

-Mark

On 6/22/05, Harlan Richard C <HarlanRichardC at johndeere.com> wrote:
> I see what you are saying in stead of using check_pick you could use
> check_smb or something in layer 7. Over all I am not a fan of passive
> checks, in my option if the service check is not critical enough to
> perform a active check but wait for the host, then it is a nice to
> know but not critical.
>
> Though my views are slant to our environment, all web sites, each site

> displays a page giving information of the health of the site. From
> there we are firm believers if the service is critical we will
> actively probe it, not waits for it.

reporting any issue.