no check_command for host

Christopher Wall chris_e_wall at mac.com
Mon Jun 20 13:28:01 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 10:35 +0200, wolf2k5 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Nagios 1.2.
>
> I have no 'check_command' for my hosts (since the firewall blocks ping
> echo requests and the Nagios host is outside the firewall).
> I only have a 'check_command' for each one of the services on each host.
>
> Will Nagios still work fine with such configuration?
> Will I loose any useful Nagios feature?

This is one of the situations for which passive checks are recommended.
Check in the docuemntation that comes with nagios regarding passive
checks and they'll mention an example situation (briefly) that is like
what you mention. Basically, set any services you would like checked as
passive and have the hosts themselves send to the nagios server.