Deleting Acknowledgement comments

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 16 23:14:55 CEST 2005

It would help the debate immensely if you could reply inline. Scrolling
up and down to find the original text and guess what part of the reply
is in response to what is a bit tiresome.

Andrew Laden wrote:
> Persistent comments, according to the docs, control if the comment survives
> a nagios restart. This has nothing to do with the comment surviving the Ack
> being cleared.

Umm.. I'm fairly certain that's wrong. I might be mistaken though. I
rarely dabble with the gui myself.

> 	Speaking of Documentation, I am having trouble finding documentation
> for end users. (ie, how to operate the GUI. What the difference between
> disabling notification, disabling checks, ack'ing a problem, etc. ) You have
> to infer a lot of it from the code. It would be nice to have a "helpdesk"
> level of documentation for the GUI.

Feel free to write one. Noone else has felt the need to be so great so
as to want to take the trouble to jot it down and publish it.

> The "if there is only one" is useless without the search feature in front of
> it.

The search feature is there.

> I think the search feature is pretty important. I have hundreds of
> machines. I know that one of them is going to go down, so I want to schedule
> it for downtime (via the gui) Right now, I have to click through screens to
> find the host.

You won't have to do that with Nagios 2.x. I thought I made this clear,
but perhaps it wasn't clear enough.

> Either look at the very long detail or overview pages, or
> else try to guess what hostgroup it might be in.  Having a place that I could
> just type in the name would be a big help. (I know I can bring up the URL
> and type it in directly, but this isnt user friendly, especially since the
> page is in frames so you cant see the URL.
>
> What is the ETA on the New GUI?

As soon as someone feels the need to be so pressing that they can't wait
longer, they'll hack it up. Ethan has expressed a desire to have this
new gui in place in 3.0 at the very latest. There's no such thing as ETA
when no money changes hands, because the people writing the code might
well go off on a two-year vacation without bothering to finish what they
were doing at the time. Feel free to contribute though; Money, code or
hardware is well received.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer