templates or USERx in hostgroups.cfg not working?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jul 29 17:37:48 CEST 2005

The config file name doesn't matter. As long as it's listed as a
cfg_file in nagios.cfg then it's treated the same as any other cfg_file.

> I've tried the following for templates:
>
> ###  in central hostgroups.cfg
>
> define hostgroup {
> 	hostgroup_name	gengroup
> 	contact_groups		people
> 	register			0
> }

You probably mean to change 'hostgroup_name' to 'name'. You reference a
template called 'gengroup' below, but there is no corresponding template
named 'gengroup'.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/templaterecursion.html

define hostgroup {
	name				gengroup
	contact_groups		people
	register			0
}

> ###  in site specific hostgroups.cfg
>
> define hostgroup {
> 	use			gengroup
> 	hostgroup_name	sitename
> 	alias			descriptive stuff
> 	members		list_of_hosts, more_hosts, etc_hosts
> }
>

> and also tried the following for the $USERx$ variable:
>
> ###  in resource.cfg
>
> $USER1$=/usr/nagios/libexec
> $USER2$=people
>

> ###  in site specific hostgroups.cfg
>
> define hostgroup {
> 	use			gengroup
> 	hostgroup_name	sitename
> 	alias			descriptive stuff
> 	contact_groups		$USER2$
> 	members		list_of_hosts, more_hosts, etc_hosts
> }

To the best of my knowledge, and a review of the documentation on using
them, macros are only available for use in the command definitions (e.g.
command_line); therefore the above would not be valid.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/macros.html

"One of the features available in Nagios is the ability to use macros in
command definitions. Immediately prior to the execution of a command,
Nagios will replace all macros in the command with their corresponding
values. This allows you to define a few generic commands to handle all
your needs."

I would say that your test confirms that.

--
Marc