/var/nagios.tmpXXX files never delete (2.0b3)

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Fri Jul 29 10:53:46 CEST 2005

Hi Bob,

> I am not running any of the MSSQL plugins, although (probably unrelated) I
> am executing a handful of mysql checks.  I would like to lean towards the
> plugins as the potential source at this time, but after recompiling the
> latest stable release of plugins, there was no net effect.

Actually, having seen the file contents, I think it is written by Nagios
itself.

Looking at the code at
[http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nagios/nagios/xdata/xsddefault.c?rev=1.20], it seems that Nagios creates this file as a temporary, and then tries to overwrite your normal status log file (probably /var/log/nagios/status.log or /usr/local/nagios/var/status.log). If it cannot overwrite that file, it returns without deleting the temporary file. This looks like a bug in Nagios.

It also does not report the error. Perhaps your /var partition is full?

You could try the attached patch, which cleans up that one error case,
and writes a log message if it can't rename the file.

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)