Monitoring systems on disconnected networks?

Erik van de Pol Erikp at VisibleWorld.com
Thu Jul 28 16:53:06 CEST 2005

Hello,

We are looking at nagios for monitoring our various systems. One of our
complications is that a number of these systems will not be routable
from time to time (this is because of VPN policy outside of our
control). During those periods (possibly several hours long), the
cluster of machines is disconnected from our network and not routable.

One solution I can think of is to have a simple wire-protocol that
transfers nagios requests (or ncsa data) not over a network connections,
but for instance a simple serial interface (the machines that server the
disconnected networks are in the same room). I could imagine building an
adaptation of ncsa/send_ncsa or nrpe that does not use network sockets,
but a different interface (such as serial). The development work is not
the problem for me, but I would like get some feedback on whether this
is a feasible or sensible approach..

Has such a thing already be attempted? Other solution that people have
found for similar situations? Any pointers and thoughts are much
appreciated!

Thanks,
Erik van de Pol