basic concept question of nagios (distributed monitoring, passive check question)

Lori Adams ladams at cloudmark.com
Wed Jul 27 20:06:55 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Andreas
Ericsson
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 9:55 AM
To: Ran Li
Cc: Scott Sugar; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] basic concept question of nagios

Ran Li wrote:
> Thanks for the comment.
>
> I think I still need you guys to clarify the concept in my mind ...
>
>                  central host
> (nagios/web/plugins/nsca)
>                     /          \
> distributed host       distributed host
> (nagios/plugins/send_nsca/check_nrpe)
>          |                              |
>       /     \                        /     \
> host1      host2        host3      host4
> (nrpe/??nagios??/??plugins??/??else??)
>
> 1. on central host
> 1.1 need nagios with web interface
> 1.2 need plugins
> 1.3 need nsca addon (for passive check)

Right in one.

> 2. on distributed host
> 2.1 need nagios
> 2.2 need plugins
> 2.3 need send_nsca addon (for passive check)
> 2.4 need check_nrpe (for active check)

Right in one.

> 3. on host that need to be monitorred
> 3.1 need nrpe addon (for active check)
> 3.2 does it need nagios installed?
> 3.3 does it need plugins installed?
> 3.4 what else need to be considered?

nrpe + plugins.

> please comment, it is very important to help me understand. Thanks.

Important for you maybe. It's not terribly so for the rest of us, as you

haven't offered to throw sackfuls of money at us poor people helping you

for free and fun.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer

reporting any issue.

Thank you to Scott and Ran for figuring out a diagram with all
compulsories including the required items for remote hosts (which are
not in the documentation).

Personally I think this is very helpful.

I don't know if that was a joke but either way, I think it's rude to
tell someone that what they need/want to understand is not important to
anyone else.  It's definitely not true, otherwise these lists wouldn't
exist.

-Lori