check_snmp not obeying warning/critical limits

Goltz, Jim (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] jgoltz at mail.nih.gov
Wed Jul 27 19:00:03 CEST 2005

I checked the archives and didn't see a problem similar to this.  I'm hoping
it's just something simple I'm missing.

I'm using check_snmp to check an SNMP-addressable temperature sensor.  The
check command is basically:

    check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -o <OID for temperature> -u degF -w $ARG1$
-c $ARG2$

The service uses:

    check_command check_temp_sh2!60:90!32:118

which should go to "warning" if the temperature is outside the range 60-90
degrees and "critical" if it's outside 32-118 degrees.

Running the equivalent command line by hand returns:

    SNMP OK - 88 degF

By fooling around with the ranges I've confirmed the behavior of the warning
and critical thresholds.  Similarly, if I deliberately set the thresholds
too high or too low I can get Nagios to generate a warning or critical
condition.

But when I configure things "normally", Nagios reports 87 or 88 degrees as a
"warning" number ("SNMP WARNING - 88 degF").

I've tried removing the "-u degF" and moving the thresholds to the check
command (i.e. from services.cfg to checkcommand.cfg), to no avail.

Does anyone see something I'm doing wrong?

-----
James P. Goltz (LHC/NLM/NIH)
38A/B1N-28K
Email: jgoltz at mail.nih.gov