distributed monitoring = remote monitoring?

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 21 00:14:17 CEST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Toby Kraft wrote:

> Thanks, I'll proceed with it then.  A couple addl ?s
>
> Is there any problem running the web interface on the remote/distributed
> nagios system so that local admins can view status for their local stuff?
>
> Are there any tools/config programs that help with this setup?  It appears
> that NagMIN, NCPL, and Monarch don't.
>
> What config tool would you recommend (other than vi :) )?

I run a large distributed configuration with VPN links connecting over the
WAN and it works quite well.

Some pointers:

1. Use send_nsca to send the data from distributed to central.
2. Use rsync/scp to push the configuration files from distributed to
central.  (I run a little perl cleanup script to make the changes required
after syncing.)
3. Setup freshness_threshold to catch stale data.
4. You can run web interfaces at both distributed and central.  Central
will see all the services for all the distributeds while the individual
distributeds will only show their own data.  You can also add per-instance
accounts on central to let folks log in and see only their hosts.
5.  Watch out for namespace collisions.
6.  Use templates.

Hope that helps.
Demetri Mouratis