NRPE kills network connection

Wengrzik, Andreas Wengrzik at ewr.de
Wed Jul 20 15:48:43 CEST 2005

Hi,

we use the NRPE Client (ver 0.7.0.6) to check several services on Win2k-Server systems.
After we´ve installed an second nagios-server with nearly the same config, nagios Sever2  starts to check
also the nrpe on these windows machines. The nrpe config don´t allow  other machines to connect to
nrpe port, just nagios1 is allowed to check it.

So the event log generates an failure that nagios2 isn´t allowed to connect to nrpe on the windows machine.
After 20 minutes of retry from nagios2 the nic lost the connection to the network.

I dont know why this is caused maybe its an buffer overflow? This happens two times on three servers which
lost the connection nearly  in the same second.

Anyone knows about this side-effect of nrpe??

best regards

-andreas w.