Nagios Plugins build under SPARC Solaris8 with SUNWspro CC fails

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Wed Jul 20 11:20:11 CEST 2005

Hi Andreas,

Andreas
> Ericsson
> Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 9:55 AM
> Cc: nagiosplug-help-admin at lists.sourceforge.net;
> nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios Plugins build under SPARC
Solaris8
> with SUNWspro CC fails
>

> NRPE and the plugins are completely separate sets of
> software. Expecting
> consistency between the two is like expecting HPUX to be
> similar to Windows.

Sorry I didn't know, and it wasn't obvious to me that it is
"merely" a contribution
isolated from Nagios itself.

> I think I've seen something about a check_informix. Google
> around a bit
> and see what pops up.

Nope, wasn't too successful with my search for check_informix.
But as said, checking Informix state should be easy.

But I was surprised to have discovered this

# find /usr/local/src/nagios-plugins-1.4 -type f -name \*vcs\*
-ls
114553    5 -rw-r--r--   1 root     other        5016 May 23
2002 /usr/local/src/nagios-plugins-1.4/contrib/check_vcs.pl

> chown informix:nrpeuser onstat
> chmod 4750 onstat

Hm, suid
I think this would clash with Perl's taint checking?

> This won't work with DBI::Informix, although it should work
nicely if
> you backtick onstat from perl.

Sorry typo, I meant DBD::Informix.

I keep avoiding Perl's backticks or qx(), or globbing
though these make scripting much easier.
I rather prefer fork() (or open "-|") and exec(), and taint mode
in server side scriping.

> PING_COMMAND is supposed to render itself. If you use
check_icmp you
> won't need check_ping though, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, you are right.
This time I omitted --with-ping-command completely,
and that's what configure found on its own (tail from configure):

config.status: creating po/Makefile
                     --with-cgiurl: /nagios/cgi-bin
                --with-nagios-user: informix
               --with-nagios-group: informix
               --with-trusted-path: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
               --with-ping-command: /usr/sbin/ping -n -s %s 56 %d
              --with-ping6-command:
                      --with-lwres: no
                       --with-ipv6: yes
                    --with-openssl: no
      --enable-emulate-getaddrinfo: no

I didn't know what syntax configure expects but from the above I
can gather that %s is substituted by an arg for ICMP packet size,
and %d obvoiusly for packet count.

> This is completely and utterly wrong. The check_fping plugin
> understands
> the output from fping (surprise!). It is not faster than
regular
> check_ping, because fping by default also waits 1 second
> between packet
> transmissions. check_icmp does not, so that's a better option.

I'd also prefer check_icmp if I got it compiled...

Someone suggested a CVS check out of the latest Nagios-plugins
where this was said to be fixed.
Unfortunately our WWW Proxy hinders me from using a cvs client.

> It's meant to be autodetected. If it isn't, you probably
> won't be able
> to fix it, since the format is fairly arcane to those who
doesn't
> intuitively understand sscanf() strings.

It seems to have done a good guess, see above.