Nagios Plugins build under SPARC Solaris8 with SUNWspro CC fails

Rob Moss robmossrm at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 17:37:02 CEST 2005

Replies embedded

>I reran make distclean and reconfigured, this time disabling the
>openssl stuff altogether.
>So there should be no need for the blooming compiler to search
>for such header files.

Okay, but check_http will not be able to check https:// connections, and
nrpe won't use secure connections.

>Here's the tail where cc aborted
>

>/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc  -g  -L. -o check_procs  check_procs.o
>utils.o ../lib/libnagiosplug.a ../lib/libcoreutils.a popen.o ../intl/libintl.a  -lgen -lsocket
>zecke --> Job output
>/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc  -g  -L. -o check_icmp  check_icmp.o ../intl/libintl.a  -lgen -lsocket
>ild: (undefined symbol) gethostbyname -- referenced in the text segment of check_icmp.o
>ild: (undefined symbol) inet_addr -- referenced in the text segment of check_icmp.o
>ild: (undefined symbol) inet_ntoa -- referenced in the text segment of check_icmp.o
>*** Error code 5
>dmake: Fatal error: Command failed for target `check_icmp'
>Current working directory
>/usr/local/src/nagios-plugins-1.4/plugins
>Waiting for 1 job to finish
>zecke --> Job output
>/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc  -g  -L. -o check_procs  check_procs.o
>utils.o ../lib/libnagiosplug.a ../lib/libcoreutils.a popen.o ../intl/libintl.a  -lgen -lsocket
>*** Error code 1
>dmake: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
>Current working directory /usr/local/src/nagios-plugins-1.4
>*** Error code 1
>dmake: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>[root at zecke:/usr/local/src/nagios-plugins-1.4]

If I am right, then it looks like the problem may have started further
above where check_icmp.c was compiled to the check_icmp.o object, check
that it has the correct -lsocket and -lnsl linker flags supplied.

The error you are seeing is where the check_icmp.o object is linked
against libraries and compiled as an executable.  Looks like some
-l<lib> linker flags haven't been supplied.

I may be wrong, but a similar problem happened with nagios-plugins-1.4
on Sol 8 (with gcc).

Cheers
rob.