Error: Host Status Information Not Found!

chris at aidworld.org chris at aidworld.org
Mon Jul 18 11:45:11 CEST 2005

Hello "T",

> I believe this phenomenon is tied to the check_timeout value of the nagios
> check processes.   The initscripts work fine after I added a 'sleep 10' to
> them in between the stop and start clauses.  I even converted them to
> RedHat
> style (Starting nagios...  [OK]).  My check_timeout is 10 seconds, so the
> lingering child processes have died by the time the script starts a new
> instance.  If you're using a much longer timeout, 'killall nagios' in
> between the stop/start might work better.

But I don't understand why a lingering service check is able to make the
web interface behave this way. Once the main (old) nagios process is dead,
the service checks should complete and then the old nagios should clean up
after itself, while the new one takes over running service checks and
maintaining state. It seems that it doesn't work in this nice clean way,
but why? And shouldn't it be fixed?

In the mean time, adding "killall nagios" to the initscript seems like a
sensible precaution, if perhaps a little violent.

Cheers, Chris.