Nagios CGIs: Premature end of script headers [Virus checked]

Matthias.Eble at kaufland.de Matthias.Eble at kaufland.de
Tue Jul 12 15:23:56 CEST 2005

Hi list,

we have been expierienced problems with Nagios' 2.0b3 web interface. There
are about 110 Services on about 60 hosts active in our Nagios
installation.
But one week ago (and today again) all the cgis got "Premature end of
script headers:" errors and the browser got a status 500. The same
configuration (with fewer hosts/services) was running for about
three months without any problems until last week. That time I tried to
solve the problems by
- removing some services/hosts,
- delete state/retention information.

After the removal of services, the frontend seemed to work. Then I
gradually added services and restarted nagios again.
So I tried to find the services/hosts that caused the problems.
Unfortunately it seemed like no explicit service/host caused the problems.
Preflight check worked without errors.

So.. After testing around for about half a day in suddenly worked again
(it looked like the solution was linked with the deletion of the var/
files) with all services and hosts.

After adding a few hosts/services the problems returned today.
When I restarted nagios the frontend worked for about 15 seconds, which
matched the status_update_interval in nagios .cfg.
After increasing this value, the frontend worked for
status_update_interval seconds.

Now.. while writing this mail I tried to move the files in var/ to /tmp,
restarted nagios... and it works now.

Can you figure out, what caused the problems?
We use Nagios 2.0b3 on httpd 2.0.53 with mod_auth_digest and mod_ssl.

Thank you

matthias