NRPE daemon and Nagios Plugins Installer

Michael Carel kirby_12172004 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 01:56:27 CEST 2005

I'm also using a non-SSL on nagios server. I've also
tried to run it using inetd in HP-UX using the
following config:
/etc/inetd.conf
nrpe         stream tcp nowait root /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe
-c /opt/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg -i
/etc/services
nrpe    5666/tcp        #nagios daemon

The nagios server responding to a "CHECK_NRPE:
Response packet had invalid CRC32." Trying to check
the port on the nrpe daemon using telnet <nrpe host>
5666 , the responses shows:Escape character is '^]'.

NRPE - Nagios Remote Plugin Executor
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad
(nagios at nagios.org)
Version: 2.0
Last Modified: 09-08-2003
License: GPL with exemptions (-l for more info)

** POSSIBLE SECURITY RISK - COMMAND ARGUMENTS ARE
SUPPORTED! **
**      Read the NRPE SECURITY file for more
information     **

Usage: nrpe -c <config_file> <mode>

 <config_file> = Name of config file to use
 <mode>        = One of the following two operating
modes:
   -i          =    Run as a service under inetd or
xinetd
   -d          =    Run as a standalone daemon

Any idea why? or do i missed something with the
config?