check_snmp to monitor isdn if on cisco?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jan 28 18:30:23 CET 2005

Schmitz, Carsten wrote:
> Subhendu, all,
>
> Thanks to all who have replied, the input has been really helpful.
>
> For the history books, I managed to get it to work. Using snmpwalk
> with numeric oid output I got the OIDs (what a neat trick, that'll
> save me lots of googling).

Some history book additions.
To 'neatify' it further in the interface-to-index translation;
snmpwalk -v 1 -c <community> -Onq <ip> .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 | cut -b22-

The digit is the interface index. The string is the interface description.

> Tried with check_ifoperstatus but didn't quite get the parameters
> right. Now I'm doing:
>
> ./check_snmp --oid=.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.29 -C community_string -H
> ip_address
>
> which checks interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.29 (with 29
> being an ISDN interface).
>
> Returns 5, which means "dormant" according to Cisco, and that looks
> just like the piece of information I need.

Perhaps, but I doubt it will turn red if it goes up. Try
check_ifoperstatus with 29 as interface index number. I believe you can
specify what a particular status should mean using that plugin (perhaps
you'll need to use negate to make it do what you want.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer