CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

Martin Mielke martin.mielke at thales-is.com
Wed Jan 26 14:54:04 CET 2005

Hello all,

before posting to the list I've been searching on the archives but
couldn't find my answers... let me waste some bandwidth :-)

I have some IA64-based systems running HP-UX 11.23 which need to be
monitored from a remote Nagios box.

A check-host-alive works perfectly but problems arise when trying to use
check_nrpe...

Two different scenarios:

   a) NRPE being launched from the inetd:

     nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i

    This produces the well-known error message "Could not complete SSL
handshake." on the server side

   b) NRPE being launched as daemon:

     /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d

    This produces errors like "Could not read request from client, bailing
out..." on the client side.

Because these systems are IA64 the patch described under
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=191&expand=false&showdesc=false
 is not applicable. I was told by the HP Support that the /dev/*random
issue has been fixed on patch 30286 and integrated on HP-UX from its
version 11.20.
The other 5 points described in the FAQ have been checked as well.

So, has anyone stumbled with this problem on Itanium architectures under
HP-UX 11.23 before and has found a solution for NRPE to work??

TIA and regards,
Martin
Martin Mielke - Senior UNIX SysAdmin - martin.mielke at thales-is.com
THALES Information Systems - http://www.thales-is.com/
Tel.: (+34) 91 556 92 62 - Fax: (+34) 91 556 42 40