db2 & websphere alerts

Mon Jan 24 01:08:08 CET 2005

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:09:47PM -0800, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:41:06 +0530
> From: Trevor Warren <trevorwarren at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] db2 & websphere alerts
>
> Morning Guys,
>
>   At one of my customers premises we are making use of Tivoli to pull
> Operating System - DB2 -Apache and  WebSphere statistics to a
> centralised Tivoli Monitoring Region Server. Tivoli is getting to be a
> nightmare and hence i had a long time ago deployed Nagios which the
> customer uses increasingly in production rather than Tivoli.

He he.

One thing you may like to consider is using Nagios to get better value
from the Tivoli investment by using the more responsive Nag CGIs to
provide

- scheduled downtime

- acknowledgements with comments

- disabling notifications

- periodic re-notification (without TEC rules)

for hosts equipped with Tivoli agents.

This approach also moves escalation for such hosts from TEC rules into
Nagios configuration - a huge advantage.

The TEC rules could invoke a program that classifies the Tivoli event
(into corresponding Nagios services eg TEC disk, TEC cpu, .. TEC misc)
and submit a passive service check result (with ssh or NCSA etc).

<off topic>
Incidentally, this may be a way of dealing with your current problems of
getting events into Nag - have your existing processes simply format
their findings as Nag service check results
( http://your_nag_host/nagios/docs/passivechecks.html ) and get them to
Nag somehow ( ssh Nag_Host echo 'Service_Check_Result' >
/path/to/Nag/var/rw/nagios.cmd is pretty easy )
</off topic>

This means that all managed elements are visible to Nagios and subject
to per service Nagios processing (for notifications etc) configuration.

There is a _considerable_ difference in responsiveness and utility
between the Nagios CGIs and the Tivoli console viewers (both X and web
based).

[snip]

> Trevor

Yours sincerely.