Monitoring Power With Nagios

Mark Duling Mark.Duling at biola.edu
Tue Jan 18 18:40:00 CET 2005

Kaushal Patel <kaushalpatel at gmail.com> on Friday, January 14, 2005 at 6:22
PM -0800 wrote:
>I have a question. So far I've seen that Nagios is used mostly for
>network monitoring only. What I wanted to know is, is it possible to
>display the electrical quantities like power, voltage, current etc
>with Nagios ?
>
>For this, I've an energy meter with a webserver on board and it can
>connect to ethernet. So, with the use of Nagios can we display these
>results on WWW remotely ? More precisely, what I plan to do is display
>those quantities in a manner similar to some online energy montioring
>services available.  However those are very costly, whereas the very
>fundamental logic of Nagios is monitoring for free, but this time
>electrical parameters.
>
>I hope I've mentioned clearly without any confusion and hoping to
>expect some detailed suggestions.

Your case sounds identical to Esensors HVAC monitor, a webserver enabled
temp/humid/light sensor that is advertised right on the main nagios.org
page.  Take a look at their Perl Nagios plugin here:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/download/contrib/plugins/esensors/  It grabs
the status web page, parses the stats into variables and processes the
values to calculate whether the values are OK, warning, or critical in the
normal Nagios way.  If one wanted to see the stats of the last check, one
could check Service Detail -> Status Information Nagios page.  Since I
prefer not to do my graphs in Nagios, I also hacked their plugin to
provide data for NRG (an MRTG competitor).   You could also hack it to
grab and parse the output for your energy meter.  This script will tell
you *one* way of parsing the http result into variables for use in an
external application, Nagios or any other.

Mark