nagios upgrade / migration from 1.2 to 2.0b1

Rudi Heitbaum rudi at darx.com
Mon Jan 17 08:31:30 CET 2005

Hi Darren,

My migration running nangios 2 and nagios concurrently was fine, and
the best way for us to test and qa the environment.

You need to edit a couple of files thus this was the best for us.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 04:11:42PM +1030, darren kruse wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a very happy user of nagios 1.2 and am interested in upgrading /
> migration to the new 2.0b1 version.
>
> My question is quite simialr to Michael??s (he didn get an on-list answer
> I can see)
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/26449
>
> I cannot afford to have my production nagios 1.2 system down while I try
> to fix stuff. So I??ll ask this a few different ways ..
>
> - Is an inplace migration safe , and if so, what is the reccomended
> process ?
>
> - Will a generic 2.0 install simply overwrite existing nagios binaries,
> and will nagios 2.0 choke on my nagios 1.2 config files ?
>
> - Is changing the default prefix to /usr/local/nagios2 in ./configure
> enough to make an install of nagios 2 parallel to the existing nagio 1.2
> install ?
> It looks like this is what Rudi did :
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/26466/match=upgrade
>
> For backward compatibility.. it would seem that the new nagiostats
> utility is not liking my existing nagios.cfg  ( I compiled nagios2 on a
> different machine, then moved the nagiostats binary to the production
> machine.
>
> eg :
> ferret# ./nagiostats /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
>
> Nagios Stats 2.0b1
> Copyright (c) 2003-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 12-15-2005
> License: GPL
>
> Error processing config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'
> ferret#
>
> If I can??t safely upgrade to nagios 2 , then I??ll settle for now for
> being able to run nagiostats over my existing nagios 1.2 installation.
> Is this possible ?
>
> thanks,
> darren
>
> Darren Kruse
> Network Operations Centre
> Adam Internet
> sip://darren@adam.com.au or +618 82754050
> Office Address: 117 King William St, Adelaide 5000 Postal Address:
> G.P.O. Box 121, Adelaide 5001

Regards

Rudi

--
Rudi Heitbaum                Ph:  +61-3-8371 7444
Managing Director            Fax: +61-3-8371 7445