nagios upgrade / migration from 1.2 to 2.0b1

darren kruse darren at adam.com.au
Mon Jan 17 06:41:42 CET 2005

Hi,
I am a very happy user of nagios 1.2 and am interested in upgrading /
migration to the new 2.0b1 version.

My question is quite simialr to Michael´s (he didn get an on-list answer
I can see)
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/26449

I cannot afford to have my production nagios 1.2 system down while I try
to fix stuff. So I´ll ask this a few different ways ..

- Is an inplace migration safe , and if so, what is the reccomended
process ?

- Will a generic 2.0 install simply overwrite existing nagios binaries,
and will nagios 2.0 choke on my nagios 1.2 config files ?

- Is changing the default prefix to /usr/local/nagios2 in ./configure
enough to make an install of nagios 2 parallel to the existing nagio 1.2
install ?
It looks like this is what Rudi did :
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.user/26466/match=upgrade

For backward compatibility.. it would seem that the new nagiostats
utility is not liking my existing nagios.cfg  ( I compiled nagios2 on a
different machine, then moved the nagiostats binary to the production
machine.

eg :
ferret# ./nagiostats /usr/local/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios Stats 2.0b1
Copyright (c) 2003-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 12-15-2005
License: GPL

Error processing config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'
ferret#

If I can´t safely upgrade to nagios 2 , then I´ll settle for now for
being able to run nagiostats over my existing nagios 1.2 installation.
Is this possible ?

thanks,
darren

Darren Kruse
Network Operations Centre
Adam Internet
sip://darren@adam.com.au or +618 82754050
Office Address: 117 King William St, Adelaide 5000 Postal Address:
G.P.O. Box 121, Adelaide 5001