http through firewall

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 21:41:06 CET 2005

 --- Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> > Now I'm trying to test a service on a host the
> other
> > side of a firewall. The firewall is *very*
> > restrictive. I can get through to the webserver
> > running on the host the other side, but the
> check_http
> > times out the socket...?
> >
> > I can wget (from bash, so proxy must be set
> correct I
> > think) from the host ip and also view pages in
> firefox
> > - all *through* the firewall completely fine.
> >
> > Any ideas why I can't get nagios to get an http
> test
> > through the same firewall?
>
> If you must use a proxy to get out then you also
> have to tell check_http
> to use that proxy. Something like the following
> should do --
>
> # 'check_caching' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check_caching
>         command_line    $USER1$/ check_http -H
> www.yourtestedsite.com -I
> ip.of.proxy.host --onredirect follow -p 8080 -wt 20
> -ct 30 -to 35 -u
> http://www.yourtestedsite.com -R \/HTML
>         }
>
> Of course www.mytestedsite.com could be a macro
> argument passed by your
> service definition ($ARG1$).

Thanks for this advice. I ran it from command line and
chenged the syntax for a couple of hours, but the
closest I got was "no data received", which seemed
closer than "socket timed out".

I'm going to investigate the possibility of having a
host send a mail via smtp to the nagios host and
having that as proof that the host is still "up". I'll
start a new thread :)

--
Matt