2.0b1 broken macro handling

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Tue Jan 11 05:52:53 CET 2005

This was a fun one to track down.  Basically, there was a bug in the
macro expansion code, which resulted in the said macros being left as
strings (i.e. "$SERVICEDESC$", "$SERVICESTATE$", etc.), which then
got nuked by the environment an converted to "$".  Fix should be in
CVS shortly.

On 7 Jan 2005 at 18:07, Chris Lalor wrote:

> as per Thomas' email, I am seeing the very same behaviour. it doesn't
> happen across the board with macro replacement. when services go down,
> the substitution for email notification (using the standard definition
> from misccommands.cfg in the sample config just to make sure it wasn't
> our custom one) works fine. when hosts go down though, the fields
> mentioned below substitute for just a $, when using the
> notify_by_email command. I've also found the host check macro
> substitution, used as we do nrpe-based host checks through a slave
> node, also breaks, so that if services go down, the host is sometimes
> noted as being down, even when it isn't. running the commands from
> commandline is working fine. let me know if any specific information
> from the config would help troubleshoot this. to be noted, this is
> moving an install with thousands of hosts/services to 2.0b1, so we
> know all of this was working in the configs in the earlier release.
>
> -chris lalor - mtv networks
>
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems that 2.0b1 broke expansion of undefined macros. I use the
> > same command for host and service notifications and depend on
> > $SERVICEDESC$ and $SERVICESTATE$ beeing empty to determine the type.
> > This worked well with Nagios 1.2 but now they are expanded to a
> > single $ sign.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> >   T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
> >   PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89
> >       finger thomasz at hostmaster.org for key
> >
> > Because you are just paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to
> > catch you!

> include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any
> issue. ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to
> /dev/null

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---