Check size of a Windows Server <--- Service

Stephan Janosch stephan.janosch at interface-business.de
Mon Jan 10 11:26:43 CET 2005

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Stephan Janosch wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> I don't think check_nt understands that you want to divide it by 10,
>>> which would explain the whole thing. Does the check_nt documentation
>>> tell you that it should be able to?
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> Of course check_nt doesn't. It's only a personal reminder for me. When
>> I see some numbers like 713456234, it reminds me, that about 71 Megs
>> are used and not ~713 Megs. So don't worry about that "/10". ;-)
>>

> Umm... 713456234 would suggest 713 megs (actually more like 680, but...)
> unless NT keeps its performance counters in bits instead of bytes (which
> would be really stupid and a great waste of registers during
> calculation). What does the windows task manager tell you about it?
>
>> Stephan

So I looked again into this and I found that "Virtual Size" does not
reflect the memory use. I found another performance counter which
correlates better with the taskmanger display. It's named
"Arbeitseiten", something like "work pages" or "memory pages". That
counter changes, as taskmanager display changes.

<process 1>
Taskmanager: 178.064 KB
Performance Monitor: 182337536
<process 2>
Taskmanager: 50.520 KB
Performance Monitor: 51732480
<process 3>
Taskmanager: 1.228 KB
Performance Monitor: 1257472

The numbers look much better now. perhaps I should use that
"Arbeitsseiten"-counter.

It's a miracle to me, why MS does not give that info in an explicit
performance counter. *rolleyes*

Stephan