Check size of a Windows Server <--- Service

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 05:50:56 CET 2005

Hi Stephan,

You wrote: > check_nt!COUNTER!"\\Prozess(tomcat)\\Virtuelle Größe","
%.0f/10 Bytes
> used"!2500000000!3000000000
> use                            generic-service-wo-perf
> normal_check_interval          10
> }
>
> check the returned number please. In my environment the returned size
> was factor 10 to big. I don't know why.

I think the source of the problem is the counter that you are
checking.  The counter that matches the memory usage in Task manager
should be "Working Set" not "Virtual Bytes".  See the descriptions of
the perfomance counters.

IF you are usign NC_Net it has a perfamance counter viewer that you
can start throught the start menu.  This tool allows you to view the
description of each Counter Categroy as well as the description of
each counter.  It also reports the value that NC_Net would retrieve in
the lower left corner of the tool.

here is the description of virtual bytes from The perfomance counters
Virtual Bytes is the current size, in bytes, of the virtual address
space the process is using. Use of virtual address space does not
necessarily imply corresponding use of either disk or main memory
pages. Virtual space is finite, and the process can limit its ability
to load libraries.

Hope this helps
Tony