FW: NRPE: Unable to read output - Plugin(event handler)

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Wed Jan 5 21:26:14 CET 2005

> Nathan-
>    If I'm following you (which I may not be)...
>
> Your nrpe.cfg command listed here doesn't have ANY arguments shown for
> cycle_tomcat.

[Nathan Oyler]

It's an event handler, and I have multiple versions of it at this point,
some that take arguments and some that should run without arguments for
testing purposes. Neither work both giving the same error.

> Assuming that you're using nrpe's original configuration, it doesn't
> accept any arguments while 'calling' nrpe from your nagios server
> (security issues abound, i.e. dont_blame_nrpe=1).
> Therefore, if cycle_tomcat needs any parameters, you need to list them
> along with the script path/name. Here is one of my nrpe.cfg commands:

[Nathan Oyler]

I have don't_blame_nrpe=1

> command[check_fsdisk4]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w 10% -c 5%
> -p /dev/sde1
>
> In services.cfg it is simply called with:
> check_nrpe!check_fsdisk4
>
> I don't put any parameters in the services.cfg file, just in the
> nrpe.cfg file.

[Nathan Oyler]

This is what I do as well, although it does not help my issue I
appreciate the email.

> I hope I got what you wanted.
> Lewis
>

> Nathan Oyler wrote:
>
> >/* see if the command timed out */
> >			if(early_timeout==TRUE)
> >				snprintf(buffer,sizeof(buffer)-1,"NRPE:
> >Command timed out after %d seconds\n",command_timeout);
> >			else if(!strcmp(buffer,""))
> >				snprintf(buffer,sizeof(buffer)-1,"NRPE:
> >Unable to read output\n");
> >

> >Is the part of the code that gives me this error, what does that
mean?

> >I've created a test plugin with just an echo, and it runs fine. I can
> >paste my plugin as well if that would help, here is the command
listed
> >in nrpe.
> >
> >command[cycle_tomcat]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/cycle_tomcat
> >

> >The Script accepts Okay, Critical, Unknown, etc. Where does the
command
> >get specified as needing arguments? Could that be the problem?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> >>I wrote an event handler in bash. It runs perfectly fine as the
nagios
> >>user on the machine.
> >>
> >>When I run it via check_nrpe -H hostname -c cycle_tomcat CRITICAL
SOFT