NC_Net V1.06 - Some Bugs Fixed and some Enhanc ement

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 08:27:13 CET 2005

Thanks Steve,

Could you give me more detail as to exactly what and how you want to
monitor the event log.  What information do you want to get from
running the check. For example do you know what kind of parameters you
want to give check_nt, and what do you want to receive back from the
check.

So I still need to decide what the event log monitoring in NC_Net
should do. Any suggestions are welcome.  As for the actual programming
of it into NC_Net it should not be too bad to get done, once the
details of what do do are determined. after it is added to NC_Net it
should also be added to Check_Nt.

I know the Memory size of NC_Net seems kind of big compared to
nsclient the main reason for this is due to the loading of the virtual
machine since it is implemented in C#.  C# with the Dot Net Framework
seems to be much more similar to Java than to C++ and this is the main
cause of the memory load.  Its memory footprint seems to stay between
8 to 15 Megs.(usually loading higher.) There might be little that can
be done to reduce the memory footprint due to the  limitations of C#
compiler.  This was one of the trade offs in implementing it in C#.
For example I have one server that receives 7 active checks and uses 8
megs of memory while a second server that receives only 4 active
checks is using 14 Megs.  Both servers are running the same version of
NC_Net however the server using less memory is win2k while the one
using more is Server 2003.

Thanks
Tony