Doubt in nagios

Mark Duling Mark.Duling at biola.edu
Mon Jan 3 17:58:53 CET 2005

>>     Our requirement is such that we would like to monitor a dial-up-
>> connection trend in an ISP scenario.For example, we would like to
>monitor the number of connections for the last 10 minutes(say) and if
>there
>was a 20% drop in the number of clients connected then a alert should be
>raised. Is this type of trend monitoring is possible using nagios?. For
>this
>we need to collect data for some amount of time and store in data base
>and again fetch these values to check for the alert condition. If so how
>should
>be our plugins? Can anyone help me out in this?.
>

>There's no standard plugin to do it but it should be pretty
>straightforward to write. In pseudo-code --
>
>   Check number of current connections
>   Store value in database
>   Compare to previous value
>   Exit OK if within acceptable parameters
>   Exit ERROR if outside acceptable parameters
>   Exit ERROR or UNKNOWN if unreachable or unexpected output received.
>
>There are of course special circumstances for the first check but that's
>a pretty rough outline of what you need to do. This also presumes that
>you can check the number of connections from a unix command line in some
>way.

What about SNMP graphing of the dialup connections (your RAS box should
support this) using NRG or any RRDtool frontend?  Then you'd have an RRD
database that Nagios could check with whatever alerting thresholds you
choose.  Or perhaps you could set Nagios to use RRDtool itself but I've
not done that.  I haven't done this or anything so I'm just throwing out
ideas, but it just seems like creating a custom database could be avoided
somehow using SNMP graphs one way or another.  Perhaps others can confirm
or refute this.  If it would work there are probably people on the list
that use Nagios & RRDtool or MRTG together that could give concrete
examples.

Mark