Problem compiling with embedded perl option

Mon Feb 21 04:57:51 CET 2005

Some recent noise said :-

From: Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft <at> IPAustralia.Gov.AU>
Subject: Re: Problem compiling with embedded perl option
Newsgroups: gmane.network.nagios.user
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:47:25 +1100

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 08:10:15PM -0800, nagios-users-request <at>
lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:40:12 -0800
> > From: "Tong Young" <Tong <at> ingenio.com>
> > To: <Nagios-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net>
> > Subject: [Nagios-users] Problem compiling with embedded perl option
> >
> > I am trying to use the --enable-embedded-perl flag but I get the =
> > following error when running make all.

  ... snip

> > help would be appreciated.  I'm assuming that I'm missing some
> > packages.

> No.

> All you need is Perl (famous Beatles song).

Some more reflection about this suggested that if you are on a platform
that distinguishes between devel and binary packages  (ie headers aren't
installed with the binaries), you may need the 'devel' package for Perl.

The bottom line is that your problem _is_ missing packages if your
system does not have

perl.h
EXTERN.h

in a path refered to by perl -V.

(To be sure, you may want to try find /usr -name 'perl.h' -ls)

If you are sure, you don't have the headers, you will need to .. STFW
shows quite a lot of stuff about embedded Perl on Deb.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-embed.html
talks about a libperl-dev ? Does that mean anything to you ?

Yours sincerely.

--
Stanley Hopcroft

IP Australia