Problem compiling with embedded perl option

Sat Feb 19 10:47:25 CET 2005

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 08:10:15PM -0800, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:40:12 -0800
> From: "Tong Young" <Tong at ingenio.com>
> To: <Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Problem compiling with embedded perl option
>
> I am trying to use the --enable-embedded-perl flag but I get the =
> following error when running make all.

You were heard the first time.

No reply means that

1 no one knows an answer

2 no one is able to spare the time to answer

> This is nagios 2.0b2 on debian sarge.  I have perl 5.8 installed.  Any =
> help would be appreciated.  I'm assuming that I'm missing some packages.

No.

All you need is Perl (famous Beatles song).

> gcc -g -O2  -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN =
> -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE =
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=3D64  -I/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H =
> -DNSCORE -o nagios nagios.c broker.o nebmods.o checks.o config.o =
> commands.o events.o flapping.o logging.o notifications.o sehandlers.o =
> utils.o retention-base.o xretention-base.o comments-base.o =
> xcomments-base.o objects-base.o xobjects-base.o statusdata-base.o =
> xstatusdata-base.o perfdata-base.o xperfdata-base.o downtime-base.o =
> xdowntime-base.o   perlxsi.o -Wl,-export-dynamic   -Wl,-E  =
> -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl/5.8/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a =
> -L/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt -lm -lnsl =
> -lpthread -ldl
> checks.o(.text+0x56): In function `run_service_check':
> /tmp/nagios-2.0b2/base/checks.c:118: undefined reference to `PL_thr_key'
> checks.o(.text+0x73e):/tmp/nagios-2.0b2/base/checks.c:338: undefined =
> reference to `Perl_push_scope'
> checks.o(.text+0x759):/tmp/nagios-2.0b2/base/checks.c:339: undefined =
> reference to `Perl_save_int'

I think this is beause, the correct Perl headers have not been included
because of either a programming error, or Make and friends have picked
up the wrong headers.

The Perl code has been stable for a while and known to compile and run
on a number of platforms, so programming errors seem less likely.

How many Perls are there on your system ? If more than one, finding the
wrong Perl headers seems more likely.

Please would you either post the list or me personally

which perl

and if there is only one Perl

perl -V

Does /usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE contain (below it somewhere) perl.h,
EXTERN.h ?

I have noX access to Debian.

Is there any chance of a temporary shell (via ssh) on the problem host
to try and work out what's wrong ?

I expect the contrib/mini_epn would also fail to compile. Is that the
case ?

Yours sincerely.

--
Stanley Hopcroft