nagios not passing arguments to nrpe for check_disk ???

joe ritter glestadt4 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 22:42:26 CET 2005

Hello,
I just configured and installed the 1.4 plugins from
source on a remote host that I want to monitor using
check_disk. In the web interface all I have see is are
messages like:

Warning threshold must be integer or percentage!

So I decided to turn on debugging in the nrpe.cfg file
and this is what I see but I can not tell if the
nagios hosts in providing arguments of the nrpe daemon
is not seeing them.

Feb 18 16:34:02 web01 nrpe[28793]: Handling the
connection...
Feb 18 16:34:02 web01 nrpe[28793]: Host is asking for
command 'check_disk1' to be run...
Feb 18 16:34:02 web01 nrpe[28793]: Running command:
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk -w  -c  -p
Feb 18 16:34:02 web01 nrpe[28793]: Command completed
with return code 3 and output: check_disk: Warning
threshold must be integer or percentage!
Feb 18 16:34:02 web01 nrpe[28793]: Return Code: 3,
Output: check_disk: Warning threshold must be integer
or percentage!

Here are the relevant config entries.

nrpe.cfg on remote host:

command[check_disk1]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk
-w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
command[check_disk2]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_disk
-w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$

service.cfg on the nagios host:

define service{
         use                    generic-service
         check_period           24x7
         max_check_attempts     15
         normal_check_interval  5
         retry_check_interval   1
         hostgroup_name         web_servers
         contact_groups         devs
         service_description    partition_usage1
         check_command
check_nrpe!check_disk1!10% 5% /boot
}

define service{
         use                    generic-service
         check_period           24x7
         max_check_attempts     15
         normal_check_interval  5
         retry_check_interval   1
         hostgroup_name         web_servers
         contact_groups         devs
         service_description    partition_usage2
         check_command
check_nrpe!check_disk2!20% 10% /
}

Now the sytax of the check_command from the above to
entries was a suggestion from someone on this list
which did not work. Earlier I specified the above two
entries like this(which did not work either):

[...]

If someone could shed some light on the I would
greatly appreciate. I feel like I am at my wits end
with this.

Thank you again for all your help.

C.