check_hpjd plugin in Plugins 1.4

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Feb 18 19:36:38 CET 2005

Edward MacGillivray wrote:
> Sorry to be replying to my own message, but I've did some more research into
> the differences between the three versions (1.4alpha2, 1.4, and the new test
> version).  I've found that the command_line variables are being filled in the
> following ways:
>
> 1.4alpha2:
> sprintf (command_line, "%s -m : -v 1 -c %s %s %s", PATH_TO_SNMPGET, community,
>
> 1.4
> sprintf (command_line, "%s -OQa -m : -v 1 -c %s %s %s", PATH_TO_SNMPGET,
> community,
>
> new-test
> sprintf (command_line, "%s -Oqa -m : -v 1 -c %s %s %s", PATH_TO_SNMPGET,
> community,
>
> Then I looked again at snmpget (or actually snmpcmd) and was not able to find
> the option -Oa.  I also don't see the option -OQ, which is in the newest one
> that I can compile.  I changed the 1.4 version that I have to -Ovq (the
> options that Andreas asked about), and after compiling with this mods the
> plugin doesn't have the error output from snmpget.  However the plugin only
> prints a '0' and the exit value of the plugin is 3, so I don't know that this
> "worked".

It doesn't. The logic that parses the snmpget output assumes that there
is text in a certain sequence prior to the actual value.

> So I then took the -O snmpget options out completely and recompiled.  After
> doing this the plugin puts 'Printer ok - ("")' on stdout and has an exit
> value of 0, which is what happens with the 1.4alpha2 version.

This is also busted. The logic expects the MIB-description of the OID
and an equal sign, which is impossible to get with ucd-snmp and net-snmp
< 5.0.2. It's just poorly coded, that's all. What happens if you run
snmpget -Ovq on the target? If that works, then at least I know that
much. The "errors" being undefined is an easy fix, so long as I know the
rest of the code is sound.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer