check_icmp/check_ping trigger values

Bergström Sebastian Sebastian.Bergstroem at kunskapsskolan.se
Thu Feb 17 16:28:43 CET 2005

We are using Nagios 1.2 and are evaluating check_icmp as a check_ping replacement.
Nagios is currently monitoring 21 branchoffices with Cisco switches and routers using 2mBit connections to each site.

The reason for replacing check_ping is that it produces critical errors sporadicly. It is pertinent to mention that the critical errors only occurs during the first checks and therefore does not send notifications. My mission is to drasticly lower the amount of errors occuring to an absolute minimum.

What are the most sensible trigger values to use with check_icmp or check_ping?
The original Nagios configuration (the same I am using) are: check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1 -t 20

My definition of sensible in this case is using a value that is producing as few errors as possible, when there are no real problems. Not sure if this is a attainable goal or not since I know that some equipment drops ICMP packets if they are to busy.

Any views or comments are appreciated.

Best regards,
Sebastian Bergstroem

Sebastian Bergstroem