Random Plugin failures in 1.2

Mike Z tarmon at spamcop.net
Fri Feb 18 00:00:37 CET 2005

I'm having a very odd problem with Nagios 1.2 (1.4 plugins):

On startup, the system runs its initial service and hosts checks, a mix
of pings, httpd, ftp, smtp, and pop3. All checks are successful, and the
information returned from the plugins show up in the service detail
correctly.

However, sometimes Nagios starts failing all checks completely, spitting
out "(Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)" in
the details field for all checks. This problem doesn't seem to clear
until Nagios is restarted. I don't have to tell you, the mailbox spam is
crazy when this happens, and it makes it impossible to determine real
issues from false positives.

This install is on a RH 7.2 machine, and previously was running 1.0b2
without trouble. When I brought Nagios back online, I moved to 1.2 and
the 1.4 plugins.

Running the commands Nagios is running from the command line as the
nagios user return as expected while this problem is occuring.

Any help would be appreciated.