check_command in Nagios 2 no longer allows "Raw" Command Line??

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 17 09:28:38 CET 2005

Jon Gefaell wrote:
> I'm working to try to port my existing nagios system(s) to nagios V.2.
>
> I'm well along and iteratively addressing problems a nagios -v
> nagios.cfg complains about.
>
> I've found a very painful difference, option 3.) "Raw" Command Line is
> no longer available!
>
> So, I've got a thousand (or so) http checks which all use this method.
> Different parameters are required for each check command. Using this
> option has allowed me to create simple definitions for these commands.
>
> Doing it the 'new'(?) way would require me to come up with a unique and
> descriptive label for each (of over 1,000) service, then chain those to
> the checkcommands.cfg with a unique stanza for each one!
>
> That's .... Well I don't want to contemplate it. Not only is the
> existing conversion tremenedously difficut, but adding services is
> daunting as well. Is there something I'm missing?

Probably. Are you aware of the fact that you can pass an arbitrary
amount of parameters to a single check_command simply by omitting the
separating !.

A "raw" command line would then look as such;
check_http_raw!--ssl --url=/some-url --port=8080

With a command definition of;
define command {
	command_name check_http_raw
	command_line check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
}

To quickly change it, I would suggest using something along these lines;
sed -i 's/\(check_command[\t
]*\)"check_http\([^"]*\)"/\1check_http_raw\2/ services.cfg
Mind the linebreaks, and make sure you make a backup. I haven't tested
the above line.

> Thanks so much!

You're welcome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se