Running Nagios 1.2 on RH EL3 - FIXED!

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Wed Feb 16 06:05:52 CET 2005

Ahhahaha. AHHAHAAHAHA. Cue user error, aka POBKAC...

After compiling with --enable-DEBUG(0,1,2) and attaching gdb to this new
executable I find:
(gdb) bt
#0  0x007366d6 in strncpy () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0x08059906 in get_raw_command_line (
     cmd=0x9591300
"check_service_cluster!CA-R203b!31!32!$SERVICESTATEID:CA-R203b-PC01:Lab
PC available$,$SERVICESTATEID:CA-R203b-PC02:Lab PC
available$,$SERVICESTATEID:CA-R203b-PC03:Lab PC
available$,$SERVICESTATEID:CA-"..., raw_command=0x2d41433a <Address
0x2d41433a out of bounds>, buffer_length=858796626) at utils.c:1277

Gee, that looks like a cluster check service command for Nagios 2.0...
and I'm running a Nagios executable 1.2... gosh could be a buffer
overflow! <slaps_self_with_cod>

I had converted all my config files to 2.0 and then regressed them to
1.2 (a lot of host names had been updated) and missed the cluster check
services... duh.

Sorry for the hundreds of emails and thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Greg

--
Greg Vickers
Lab Monitor Project Manager