Service dependencies not working as I would think?

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Mon Feb 14 04:18:01 CET 2005

> The following could happen:
>
> - ssh is OK
> - you kill ssh
> - nagios chek pgsql (it thinks that ssh is OK, since no check occured
> since last OK)
> - nagios says pgsql is DOWN (because you killed ssh)
> - after a while nagios check ssh
> - nagios says ssh is DOWN
>
> Dependencies means that nagios will check last result of a service
> before checking the dependent service. It does not means that nagios
> will check service ssh every time it needs to check pgsql.

Hi Leonardo,

   Looking at the docs, it appears that the dependency will look at
the last HARD state of the depended-upon service.  By using the
soft_state_dependencies option, it should notice that the ssh
service (the depended-on service) is not in an OK state, and hopefully
will not alert.  Not sure how I missed that bit of info, but it's been
One Of Those Days(tm).

   So, I added 'soft_state_dependencies=1' to nagios.cfg, and restarted.
Killing ssh seems to be producing the results I wanted - it logged the
postgresql failure, and immediately started testing the ssh service, and
ONLY the ssh service.  Yay!

   To me, it seems like soft_state_dependencies should default to on -
why would you not want a failure in a depended-upon service to be
ignored when checking a dependent service, even if it is in a SOFT
failure?  Ethan?

   Anyhoo - thanks much, Leonardo.  That got me thinking in the right
direction.  :)

Benny

--
"I'm so Goth, my wrists slit themselves."
                                                  -- bash.org