Service dependencies not working as I would think?

Leonardo Henrique Machado leonardomachado at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 04:00:05 CET 2005

The following could happen:

- ssh is OK
- you kill ssh
- nagios chek pgsql (it thinks that ssh is OK, since no check occured
since last OK)
- nagios says pgsql is DOWN (because you killed ssh)
- after a while nagios check ssh
- nagios says ssh is DOWN

Dependencies means that nagios will check last result of a service
before checking the dependent service. It does not means that nagios
will check service ssh every time it needs to check pgsql.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:41:06 -0600 (CST), C. Bensend
<benny at bennyvision.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
>    So, after an unintentional barrage of alerts, I started playing
> around with service dependencies.  I do an awful lot of checks using
> check_by_ssh, so I'd like to set up dependencies for other services
> that depend on ssh.  Simple, I would think.
>
> In my dependencies.cfg (this is Nagios 1.2):
>
> # Servicedependency definition
> define servicedependency{
>         host_name                       neutron
>         service_description             ssh
>         dependent_host_name             neutron
>         dependent_service_description   postgresql
>         execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c ; These are the criteria
>                                               ; for which check execution
>                                               ; will be supressed
>         notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c ; These are the criteria
>                                               ; for which notifications
>                                               ; will be supressed
>         }
>
>    For the above host (neutron), I use check_by_ssh to execute
> check_pgsql locally.  So, with the above config, I would think that
> if ssh goes away, the postgresql service will not be tested and will
> not alert.
>
>    To test, I killed ssh on neutron, and watched what happened -
> and to my dismay, Nagios alerted on both ssh and postgresql.  :(
> The "view config" in the web interface seems to show the dependency
> set up correctly - what the heck am I missing?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Benny
>
> --
> "I'm so Goth, my wrists slit themselves."
>                                                   -- bash.org

Leonardo Henrique Machado