Turn off RED for PASSIVE ONLY checks?

Emmett Hogan EmmettH at Examen.com
Thu Feb 10 23:08:07 CET 2005

Marc Powell wrote:

>Are you sure about that?
>
>"What Happens When A Service Check Result Becomes "Stale"
>
>If the check results of a service are found to be "stale" (as described
>above), Nagios will force an active check of the service by executing
>the command specified by the check_command option in the service
>definition. ***It is important to note that an active service check
>which is being forced because the service was detected as being "stale"
>gets executed even if active service checks are disabled on a
>program-wide or service-specific basis.***"
>
>(emphasis mine)
>
>Also, looking at checks.c and commands.c, there appears to be a clear
>distinction between normally scheduled checks and forced checks.
>Freshness uses the latter. Additionally, this bit of code seems to
>indicate to me that the checks _will_ occur --
>
>/* make sure this is a valid time to check the service */
>if(check_time_against_period((unsigned
>long)current_time,svc-(check_period)==ERROR){
>
>   /* don't check the service if we're not forcing it through */
>   if(!(svc->check_options & CHECK_OPTION_FORCE_EXECUTION))
>      check_service=FALSE;
>
>   /* get the next valid time we can run the check */
>      preferred_time=current_time;
>
>   /* set the invalid time flag */
>      time_is_valid=FALSE;
>   }

Hmmmm.....I was going off of another user's observations that I found in
the archives.  I guess I should have looked at the code myself. :-(

Anyway, that brings up a different problem then...our backups only run
Monday-Friday.  So, is it possible to have the freshness check only run
on those days?  I guess I could put the intelligence into my
"active_check" command to return an "OK - No weekend backups" result.
Now that I think about it, that might be the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for your help (and patience) :-)

-Emmett