Turn off RED for PASSIVE ONLY checks?

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Thu Feb 10 22:40:32 CET 2005

Are you sure about that?

"What Happens When A Service Check Result Becomes "Stale"

If the check results of a service are found to be "stale" (as described
above), Nagios will force an active check of the service by executing
the command specified by the check_command option in the service
definition. ***It is important to note that an active service check
which is being forced because the service was detected as being "stale"
gets executed even if active service checks are disabled on a
program-wide or service-specific basis.***"

(emphasis mine)

Also, looking at checks.c and commands.c, there appears to be a clear
distinction between normally scheduled checks and forced checks.
Freshness uses the latter. Additionally, this bit of code seems to
indicate to me that the checks _will_ occur --

/* make sure this is a valid time to check the service */
if(check_time_against_period((unsigned
long)current_time,svc-(check_period)==ERROR){

   /* don't check the service if we're not forcing it through */
   if(!(svc->check_options & CHECK_OPTION_FORCE_EXECUTION))
      check_service=FALSE;

   /* get the next valid time we can run the check */
      preferred_time=current_time;

   /* set the invalid time flag */
      time_is_valid=FALSE;
   }