AW: monitoring thousands of servers using Nagios

Hildenbrand, Marcus marcus.hildenbrand at sap.com
Sat Feb 5 11:14:35 CET 2005

Hi Kerry,

I'm monitoring 3300 servers with 15000 services with all active service checks. This is running on a single 4 x 2.4 GHz AMD Opteron Linux box with 4 GB RAM. Every 5 minutes a ping for all servers is scheduled with also getting network statistics via SNMP. Every 15 minutes other stuff like cpu and mem usage is done. For the Nagios scheduler to be able to handle this traffic you have to modify the file include/config.h.in before compiling Nagios. Set "#define USE_MEMORY_PERFORMANCE_TWEAKS".

The performance of the webinterface is quite good. tac.cgi for example needs about 2-3 seconds to display. But this is only true for Nagios 2.0. Older versions had some problems with large configurations.

Regards Marcus