NC_Net -passive checks (test version)

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 06:35:19 CET 2005

The documentation on passive checks was written prior to implementing
the passive checks.  What you are requesting is for the most part what
I am planning on implementing.  the other port thing was a earlier
thought about having a management application in windows that can
modify the configuration (this is probably not going to happen).

The current plan that should be implemented next week some time, is to
have check_nt amended with a new option that will push the passive
check command to NC_Net.

The passive checks can be configured at startup.  the startup.cfg file
is where all the startup information about flags, ports and intervals
goes.  the passive.cfg file is read each iteration that passive check
should run,  currently prior to starting NC_net you can add a bunch of
checks to the end of the passive.cfg file. Passive.cfg is parsed every
iteration for what passive checks to do.  So if the passive.cfg is
manually changed the new changes will occur at the next passive check.
 I use the file "Sample Passive.cfg" and save as to modify my checks
while NC_Net is running.

For Changing the checks via Check_nt, I need to add 1) a few active
checks that change current configuration (this is already in NC_Net
but not in check_nt) 2) a active check that changes startup.cfg (not
in either check_nt nor NC_Net) 3) a switch to add to a passive check
that will add it to the passive.cfg ( i am thinking of using the [-s
serviceDescrip]  each passive check MUST have a service description so
the command should fail if it is not present.  Also the result from
this command should be OK if the check was added and tested with an OK
result.  2) Warning - if the check was added and tested with a non OK
result.  3)Critical - if the check was not added - a check will not be
added if it testing it returned an ERROR 4) Unknown - if the check
fails for some other error.  check_nt needs to catch the -s switch
prior to its main service check routine because - check_nt sends very
little information to NC_Net for a service check and we basically need
it to send over the entire service check options. ( -d,-w,-c,-l,-v,-s)

I also will need to add an active check command to delete a passive
check - this will be just the service description with another
switch.(any suggestions)

A point worth mentioning about the changing the configuration.
several flags exist in the Setup.cfg that will disable the ability to
make changes to NC_Net.  setting lock_active_config to true prevents
changes from an active check.  While lock_passive_config set to true
prevents a configuration change in  passive.cfg from running.  Also
the Mode variable at the end of the Startup.cfg is not an actual
variable, it is actually a mask com mad that overwrites the explicit
settings of these variables that were set earlier in the file. (this
was done intentionally, the mode is the primary interface for changing
all true/false variables at the same time, so I use ti to change the
configuration during testing.   One of the goals of having the
Startup.cfg file was to enumerate all the configuration variables that
a user has access to change since this list will not be available from
a command sent to NC_Net.  The Testrun also overwrites other variables
that may have been set. testrun disables the actual sending of the
passive checks via NSCA as well as increases the frequency to check
each minute.

I hope this post more appropiatly lays out the intentions of the
updating passive checks remotly via Check_nt.
Tony